This event will be hosted in Trinidad on 29 April, 2017 from 3-6 pm
I love stories. I find solace, comfort and hope in them. I believe that all our stories matter and they are worth acknowledging. We do ourselves a great injustice when we don’t see the significance of our stories. The failure to see their worth means that they aren’t shared, they aren’t honored, and we compare our stories with those of others. We also let the story of others stifle us from sharing and acknowledging our own, because we feel that theirs is grander or weightier than ours.
Here’s the thing – your story matters. And there is no competition in our collective stories. None. My story of abuse is no more significant than the story of the woman who struggles with weight issues or that of the woman who secretly cuts herself. Our stories reflect the diversity of our challenges, struggles, conflicts. Let’s face them, let’s honor them.
When I discovered journaling, it saved me. And when I coupled that with the willingness to embrace my stories and all of me, my life changed dramatically. I didn’t want it to stop there. I wanted to learn more about journaling and the therapeutic power of words. So I started studying the work of researchers and psychologists who are pioneers in the field of therapeutic writing. I wanted to share what I was learning in a soulful, practical and fun way. So I started doing workshops, and hosting story retreats for women.
In this upcoming hands-on, soulful, workshop, we’ll explore the importance of our stories and how we can use journaling to capture them and unearth their significance to our lives. At the end of the workshop, you’ll understand the value of journaling, gained ideas on how to make it a fruitful ritual in your life, and you’d walk away with greater understanding of yourself and more empathy for others.
Since 2015 I’ve had the opportunity to help women connect with themselves in a deep and meaningful way through journaling and personal storytelling. Each workshop provides women the opportunity to explore, address and make meaning from their stories. Some laugh, some cry, some walk away with aha moments. All gain the strength to embrace their stories and the courage to move past the painful ones, so they don’t become stuck in or defined by any one story.
If you have a story that keeps you up at night, keeps dragging you into the past, or is screaming to get out or be addressed, this workshop is for you.
Before signing up you should know that this is not a professional or academic writing workshop. There are no textbooks, class credits, boring Power Points or sleep-inducing spreadsheets. Think more along the lines of personal development in a relaxed, intimate setting. On the day of the workshop, walk with:
- Pens, pencils a journal or a notebook. Get a journal that you’ll feel comfortable writing in, is easy to fit in your hand bag, sturdy and attractive. Or get a copy book if that works for you. However, the more comfortable and attractive your journal is, the more likely you will use it as part of a regular journaling practice.
- Highlighters, index cards and colored pens are good if you have them on hand. I provide these so no need to purchase them.
- Some people prefer to journal on the laptops. If you’re on of those, feel free to bring yours along. However, there is something powerful about pen sliding across paper and I’d love for you to give it a try.
- A good attitude and an open mind, simply because that’s the best way to approach this sort of workshop 🙂
- Casual and comfortable clothing – think yoga pants, jeans and a tee, summer dresses, breathable wear, flip flops, flats. The atmosphere is informal, light and friendly. You can even ditch the makeup if you want 🙂
Registration ends on April 27, 2017. Workshop fee is TT $299 and includes a PDF guide, coupon for half off my upcoming book on journaling to heal, the fellowship of other women, sage advice, an opportunity to connect with yourself in a deeper way through a new practice.
Space is limited to 12 participants and will be reserved on a first come, first paid basis. A small number of journals will be on sale at the workshop at a cost of TT $60 each. This is a great option if you don’t want to be bothered to go shopping ne. Reserve your space by completing the form below. Once the form is received you will be sent payment details. If you have questions, feel free to send an email to email@example.com.